Musette

Musette

Monday 20 March 2017

Training & Illness

Ask any parent of babies and toddlers, and they will tell you that February and March are the worst times of year for illness. Especially when you have a kid in day-care. They bring home all manner of ailments to gladly share with the whole family.

When one trains as much as myself and my partner Malin do, it's tricky to balance life with training, we all know that. But trying to also stay healthy with all these germs flying around at home is even more of a challenge. In my last post I wrote about how I managed to get an eye infection from my daughter while we were away on a training camp on Gran Canaria. That happened even though I washed my hands so much that my skin became dry and itchy. Sometimes you just can't help it! The dreaded lurgy catches up with you sometimes, despite your best efforts.

Last week (week 10) Malin and I both had a rest week. All went well, and Malin also did an FTP test at the end of the week. The results were promising, and reflected the form we had seen on the camp. My week still had a few interval sessions, but with plenty of rest in between, and then a weekend spent chilling and with the kids in the woods. Sunday was spent in Skryllegården with good friends Jonas, Helen and Isabelle, Jessica and Gunnar, plus the guys/girls/friends from Musette in Malmö with all their kids in tow. We had a great day and the weather even allowed for a BBQ. Malin rode with Jessica in the morning, and then again with the Musette guys in the afternoon while I spent the time with the kids, Annette and Matilda.

This week has been a different story. Malin and the kids have both been ill since the beginning of the week, so everyday for me has been to prioritise looking after them, and sneaking out to train when they had naps. Everyday I've also woken up waiting to feel the telltale signs of man-flu, but avoided it so far.... Famous last words?

Tuesday I sneaked out on the winter road bike for an hour of tempo riding. Nice to get out on the road bike with normal shoes on. You forget how clumpy winter boots are until you have a lightweight pair of shoes on for the first time in a while! I can highly recommend neoprene socks (apparently popular in orienteering events). I've been able to change over to summer shoes a bit earlier this year with them.
Not bad weather for March
Wednesday was some short intervals in the local hilly park. Wanted to ride the MTB as didn't get out on it at all last week. Felt good to be back out on it, even if it was only gravel tracks. But threw in a short singletrack descent during the recoveries to keep my eye in, and have some fun!
Muddy fun!
Thursday I had planned to ride the CX on a lap of a race in Lund. 3 x 10min intervals, so I thought it would be just short of 2 laps in each 10 min block. Having ridden the same last week during a Sweetspot session, I knew this would be fun, and I was right. We'd had some rain before, so the course was a bit slippy, but it made it super fun. I'm missing CX season and looking forward to next season already!! Not good to wish a whole summer away though...
BMC CX01, lovin' it!
Saturday was again rainy, so I waited till the afternoon and took the MTB up to Skrylle (our most local trails) for some technique drills. I've been  planning a little technique lap in my head, both for Malin and me to train on. This was the first time I had tried it fully in one go. Worked really well, so I'll definitely be using it again. Weather turned out nice in the end too, wasn't expecting that after the morning.
Sun shining after a rainy morning
Sunday was a more Sweet Spot, and back on the winter road bike due to not having time to head out to the MTB trails in the car. Again managed to get out during the dry few hours we had.
Void shorts, super comfy!

No comments:

Post a Comment