Musette

Musette

Tuesday 19 September 2017

Last of the MTB races

My last MTB race of 2017 was to be the last round of the Danish National series (SRAM Liga) in Vejle. I'd been to the venue in 2016, but didn't race due to illness, but was at least aware of the course layout. We drove over on Saturday afternoon with Sandra from Singletrack Sisters who would be racing the Elite race just after me on Sunday. It's a great venue (especially when not raining!), with lots going on around the arena.

No Albert, it's not a giant marshmallow......
Upon arrival we were buoyed by the dryness of the roads and tracks and the forecast was for dry, although cloudy weather both Saturday and Sunday. We arrived in good time to collect our number boards, pin them on and out on the track for official practice. The course was damp in some areas, but generally in very good condition, especially the areas that must be part of a permanent MTB track, which were properly prepared for all weathers.

Back to the hotel, food in the hotel restaurant and then into bed nice and early. Wow, this doesn't normally happen! Both kids in bed and asleep before 2100, in a hotel! Wii Hoo!

Sunday morning the sun was actually shining for a change as we made our way to breakfast. The clouds soon rolled in, but we had still positive feelings and looked forward to a dry race for a change! I headed out for a good warm-up with plenty of time to spare, and the weather seemed ok, albeit a little on the chilly side. The legs felt pretty good, although I did feel quite nervous for this race knowing that I went in with a slim 16 point lead over number 2 in the series! I wasn't really sure how far behind number 3 was in points, but my aim before the race was to stay ahead of numbers 502 and 503 at all costs into the finish (I was number 501, so our seeding numbers are series positions). On the start-line I had 502-505 lined up beside me, and the pulse felt high. Nobody spoke or looked at each other at this race. I wanted to get a good start today, as I knew there was a tree in the middle of the trail, with a hop down, and up a curb just before it, so I wanted to lead into there in order to avoid any problems. Then ideally I would let somebody else do the work after that tight spot. But then, thoughts changed to..... rain.... FFS. AGAIN!?!? First pretty lightly, then a little heavier. No matter I thought, focus on the start!

Nerves on edge on the start-line!
The gun went and I got away well, foot in pedal and some good powerful strokes so I lead into the first section as planned. Not at all to plan was that nobody came by after the tree, so I lead the field into the singletrack too. Already at the first downhill section with switchbacks after a couple of minutes riding I could see that only one other rider had stayed close. So I settled in to my own pace and let him sit on my wheel, all the time thinking I would stick close if he came past. By now the rain had become pretty heavy, and during the first lap it got heavier and heavier! By the end of the lap the course and me were sodden. My clothes felt heavy, and I actually felt cold despite the effort level. But, I had pulled a gap of 10-20 seconds to the rider in 2nd place without really realising it. So, now it was solo riding for the rest of the race. All the while due to the course layout I could see 2nd place and knew I had pulled a few more seconds each lap.

One of the many steep climbs - Denmark ain't flat!
The last lap was pretty mucky, and the course had become much more slippy due to all the tyres churning the mud. I managed to keep it on two wheels, and even had time to take the last couple of kms a little easier into the finish where I won with 50 seconds to spare. Race win and series win! A great feeling, and after the tough start to the season it felt good to get it done, especially with a win!

Over the line, wet and mucky!
Raceday podium

Series standings after 5 races - a late surge!
On to the CX season full-time now. No more MTB races until next spring. First CX race is already next weekend in Rävlanda (west of Gothenburg). It will be exciting to see how I fair in the Men A class against riders of all ages and levels, not just the 30-year-olds!

No comments:

Post a Comment