Musette

Musette

Tuesday 29 November 2016

Family Training

Week 47 was a continuation of the preparation phase, getting ready for the proper base training to come. Still some longer and easier rides to be done, which I'll come to later.

The first session of the week was an FTP test, disguised by Rob as an 8 minute all-out effort. He uses a software to calculate all my metrics which is linked to TrainingPeaks called WKO4. I don't have a license myself, but from what I've read it's a pretty powerful tool. After the test the first few sessions of the week were a little shorter and harder intervals. Did them on the cross bike, first session on the road, then the other in the local park where I normally do my shorter hill intervals. Still loving my CX01. It's just so comfy and nice to ride. I think the decision to go for a 48cm frame rather than 51cm this time was right, as the bike is so easy to chuck around and lots of fun to ride. Cross bikes are just so versatile too.

Onto the weekend the plans were a little up and down as Malin was planning on riding Saturday, but didn't know when, so I took some time to try and get my winter road bike project on the road so I could test out my plan. I have had my old 1992 Orange Clockwork built with 700C track wheels for a while, which has allowed me to use it again after it has been sat gathering dust. Seeing as the wheels fitted easily in the frame, I thought I could maybe fit a rear brake as well and then a pair of road wheels and some gears - hey presto - a winter training bike. But no.... Not so easy. The front road caliper that I had fitted on the fixie just happened to fit perfectly into the hole in the fork that is meant for the front mudguard. But the rear wasn't so easy. I did a few CAD models of a potential adapter, and had planned to get something made. But last week I decided to knock something up to see if the theory would work. The brake fitted with my bodged adapter, and didn't seem to flex, but it was very close to the tyre - so riding dirty roads in the winter could be a problem, and I could forget a full rear mudguard.

Bit of a bodge, but it works well enough as a first prototype
Still worth a try over the weekend, and meant we could hook the trailer up to my bike and head out with the whole family. Combined base miles with an outing to the coast for the kids! We rode like this for an hour and a half on Saturday. Hilda started to get cold towards the end, but otherwise all went well.
Sunday was colder, and I had three hours planned, so we decided I would ride alone for a couple of hours, then come home to hook up the trailer and do another hour together. It worked pretty well again, and we rode and chatted a bit, looked at horses, looked at houses and countryside, then home to the warm house and cups of tea. Hilda was cold again today, so we decided to bite the bullet and buy another trailer - for her to sit in and keep warm. That way she can have toys with her too for extra entertainment.
Winter training bike with the trailer hitched, Albert asleep as usual.
Hilda wrapped up warm in the child seat - another trailer is on the way!
My brake 'bodge' worked ok, but lots of crud collected in the small clearance between the bracket and the tyre. Back to the drawing board now, have some old XT V-brakes that I would ideally like to use, but I need to find design (or buy) an adapter to bring the brakes 'up' by 31,5mm (difference between 26" and 700C brake track diameters). That would also allow the use of mudguards, a must on a winter road bike!!

No comments:

Post a Comment